Why must we study Seerah (Biography of Prophet Muhammad P.B.U.H)? Must Read!
Don't forget to share this article after reading
Incidents and situations from the Prophet's life are real life lessons to help us. Seerah is more than studying biography of a person, it is biography of our most beloved's life and the history of our religion.
- Muhammad ibn Saad ibn Abee Waqqas said our father would teach us the battles of Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] and tell us these are the traditions of your fathers so study them. Ali bin Hussain ibn Ali ibn Talib said we were taught the seerah of the Prophet like we were taught Quran. This shows how important it was to them, studied as seriously as the Quran. If we want to study life of the anbiya we go to Quran. But to study life of Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam], since there are only bits and pieces of it mentioned in Quran, in order to fully study, must go to Seerah
2. Why must we study Seerah? To develop the proper love of Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] in our hearts
Loving him is ibadah, part of obeying Allah SWT and it is part of our deen.
- From a hadith we learn that, you do not attain true faith until you love Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] more than your parents and children and whole world. Our ummah loves Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam], if we ask Muslims they will say yes they love him. But true love is only deep and sincere when you really know the person. If you dont really know them, your love is only shallow. The more we know Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam], the more we will love him and the purer and deeper our love will be Insha Allah
Amr ibn al Aws used to be an enemy of Islam. Afterwards he became Muslim and when he was passing away he was weeping and his son reminded him that Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said Amr was a mu'min, a true believer. Amr radi Allahu anhu explained of his tears, I have had three stages in my life: first was when the most dispised person in the world was Muhammad sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam and my desire was to get my hands on him to kill him. Then Allah put the love of Islam in my heart and I went to Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] to take shahada, and when Prophet extended his hand forward to take his pledge, Amr pulled his hand away. He said I want to make a condition that you pardon me for what I have done in my past. The Prohet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam smiled and said Ya Amr dont you know Islam erases everything before it, and Hijrah erases and Hajj. So then Amr became muslim. In this stage, Muhammad who was before the worst enemy to me now became the most beloved in whole world to me. I loved him so much and respected so much that I never could get a full glimspe of his face because I would always lower my gaze in shyness and if you asked me to describe him to you I couldnt.
This shows that when Amr radi Allahu anhu became close to Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] and got to know him, the Prophet automatically became the most beloved of beloveds to him
Suhail ibn Amr was a negociator from Quraysh who came to see Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] in Madina. He saw how the companions treated Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] and when he returned back he told the Quraysh, I visited the Persian empire, the Negus in Abysina, the Roman empire, but I have never in my life seen a leader so loved and followed and respected by his followers. Not in the whole world. I saw amazing things. Muhammad would make wudu and companions would rush to catch the water dripping from his body. He told them, do what you want but these are people who would never give up their leader, they would give their own lives and sacrifice everything but would never give up him. Suhail's statement is evidence of the depth of love the companions had for Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam]. We cannot claim to love him like this is we are ignorant of his life. We must study and understand to grow in love
- No other person in history has had so many people named after him. His name is most frequently mentioned name around the world, at every time there is adhan being given. So at every part of the day a muezzin is calling adhan and bearing witness to his Prophethood. Everytime we hear his name we praise him and say, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam. Just like his name means, the praised one
Allah SWT says in the Quran:
Say: If it be that your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your mates, or your kindred; the wealth that ye have gained; the commerce in which ye fear a decline: or the dwellings in which ye delight - are dearer to you than Allah, or His Messenger, or the striving in His cause;- then wait until Allah brings about His decision: and Allah guides not the rebellious.
Allah, His messenger and Islam should be the most dear and beloved and precious things to us in whole world
3. Why must we study Seerah? To follow the way of the Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam]
Ibn Hazm said that whoever seeks the hereafter, the wisdom of this life, the height of morality and character, let him follow Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam]. The Prophet was the perfect example of best character. We must first study his life to follow his beautiful example.
If we study the seerah, this will help us build love for rasul Allah. and if we truly love him, then we should follow him in what he did and all he taught us.
Allah SWT says:
Say (O Muhammad): "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."
Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] was a political leader, a military leader, an imam, a husband, a father, a neighbour, a teacher....his life provides an example for all aspects of our lives, whatever place we are in, in whatever times.
4. Why must we study Seerah? To help understand the Quran
Some ayahs deal with events that happened during lifetime of prophet Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam], revealed either before, during or after a particular ocassion. The seerah gives explaination, so understanding and knowing about seerah will help us to understand these verses. Example of surah al Ahzab, surah ali Imran, the ayahs dealing with the battles etc
5. Why must we study Seerah? His life illustrates the methodological steps of the Islamic Movement
We see the steps in Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam]'s life, the steps in the establishment of Islam and of the Islamic state. The stages in dawah. It is important for us to study this, as it was divinely directed, so it is the best guidance for us, on how to practice and establish islam. These events were all planned by Allah SWT
The Quran and Sunnah are verbal teachings. How to apply these teachings? We must look at the application of these teachings into action, and we find all of this in life of Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] and companions.
6. Why must we study Seerah? Studying seerah is ibadah
Studying seerah is not just for mere amusement. It is ibadah, Insha Allah we will get ajar for it. If we attend a halaqa of seerah, it is a gathering of dhikr. It is a gathering of angels. We are surrounded by mercy and tranquility. What better gathering is there than this?
7. Why must we study Seerah? Studying seerah is essential for helping us develop an Islamic identity and character
Who are our role models? Who are our children's role models? Living here in the West, we are bombarded daily with values, culture and ideas that are against the teachings of our deen. If this is not confronted, it works to shape and form our identity and character. Muslims today are faced by a serious identity crisis. Think of this: do our youth relate more with the life of with a pop star or with a companion? Do they know more about the players on their favourite hockey team or about the companions? Can our youth name all the anbiya? Someone said, to destroy a people, you must first destroy their roots. We must know what is our history, we must know what is the seerah to know our roots. And if we ourselves do not know it, we will not be able to pass this on to the next generation
How to develop strong Muslim identity:
1.Have a deep study of Islamic history
- - this includes learning about the lives of Prophets of Allah, lthe life of Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam], life of khulafa ar rashideen, life of companions, and then the general history of islam. History is our embilical cord, our lifeline. We are not severed from our roots, we are part of as glorious empire, we are an extension of a beautiful ummah
2.Be part of the worldwide ummah.
- Our local identity does not override our Islamic identity. There is no nation-state concept in Islam. We are all part of worlwide ummah. Doesnt matter whether we are British or Pakistani or Syrian or whatever. We must know the situation of our brothers and sisters all over the world. What is happening in every corner of the Muslim world should concern us as if it is happening within our own house. We cannot be part of the ummah if we donot even care for the ummah
8. Why must we study Seerah? Life of Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] is a testimony of his prophethood
Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam]'s life itself is an evidence of prophethood. Proper knowledge and understanding of seerah is essential in giving dawah. Imagine this illiterate man who presented to the world the most glorious and beautiful book? How else can it be explained other than it being divinely inspired. This is just one example
9. Why must we study Seerah? Simply put -the seerah is the life of the greatest
Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] was the greatest man on earth. There is no other yardstick to measure greatness or nobility or anything. Michael Hart wrote a book called "The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History" and he listed Rasul Allah [sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam] as number one. Of course this ranking means nothing to us, we already know without a doubt that our Rasul cannot be compared to any other human. But it just shows that even nonmuslims who have truly studied the seerah admit without hesitation that his life was the best life.
Now what are you waiting for. Download the "Biography (Seerah) of Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)" book for free from our site.
Click Here to read more articles!
*Report a broken link or spelling mistake
Stay Connected With Free Updates